DEPARTMENT OF PHYSICAL EDUCATION
Ever keeping in mind the dictum, “A healthy mind in a healthy body”, PSGR Krishnammal College for Women has been paying equal importance to Physical Education, Health Education, Sports and Games right from its inception in 1963. Department of Physical Education functioning in the western side of GRG Centenary Sports Arena, functions in four different directions such as Sports, Health Care, Fitness and Research Activities to encourage and to empower girls to be healthy and to excel in sports as well. The Institution provides an environment which facilitates the optimal efficiency and effectiveness for the emerging dynamic women sports achievers.
“Health is state of Mind and Wellness is state of Being”, is the following quote of the department of Physical Education which has distinctive approaches by providing health education, opportunities for sports achievement, research works and conducting fitness activities which also help the students to improve upon their organizational and leadership qualities through sports club, health care club, fitness club and research activities.
Stemming directly from the vision of overall student development, the department is dedicated to contribute towards promoting international peace with the power of sports and shaping young and promising women to build a society and country healthy in mind and body.
“Intelligence and skill can only function at the peak of their capacity, when the body is healthy and strong”. It is achieved through different activities and programs to provide health, recreation, physical activity in addition to classroom learning.
The Management provides the best sports coaching facilities to groom the enormous potential lying hidden among the players. The College has attained a high level reputation in sports activities by winning several prestigious tournaments conducted at various levels. With generous help from the management, 100 sports students in average have been provided with free training equipments, sports uniforms, track suits, training shoes, sports scholarships, tournament expenses and flexibility in writing their exams etc.. Medical Insurance facility given to the students enables them to claim their medical expenses from private hospitals also. Department of Physical Education has produced many outstanding sports personalities in who had represented state level, university level, national level and international level tournaments
in various sports such as Volleyball, Basketball, Handball, Kho-Kho, Football, Hockey , Ball Badminton, Shuttle Badminton, Tennis, Soft Tennis, Table Tennis, Chess, Carrom, Power Lifting, Weight Lifting, Taekwondo, Boxing, Wushu, Judo, Karate, Shooting, Archery, Gymnastics and Athletics. Outstanding Sports students are placed in government sectors such as railways, income tax, police, sports development authority, and customs department under sports quota jobs.
1. SPORTS CLUB
||I Place (Gold)
||II Place (Silver)
||III Place (Bronze)
|State / Inter-Collegiate
Total Number of Participation in Sports Competitions = 200 Competitions Attended
Total Number of Medals Won = 187 Medals
NOTABLE SPORTS ACHIVEMENT 2019 – 2020
Our Sports Students Won 179 Medals in various level of competitions held at various places in this academic year 2019-20 and our college won the highest number of Sports Medal in Coimbatore District.
INTERNATIONAL LEVEL: Our Sports Students Won Ten International Medals including, Six Gold Medals, Three Silver Medals and One Bronze Medal in the various international sports competitions held at various countries Such as Quatar, Russia, Malasia, Phillipines, India, Nepal and Bhutan in Shooting, Aerobics, Silambam, Soft Tennis, Karate, Chess, Badminton respectively.
Our Students Won SIXTEEN MEDALS including, Twelve Gold Medals, One Silver Medal and Three Bronze Medals in various National Level Sports Tournament held at various states of India in Wushu, Aerobics, Chess, Basketball, Shooting, Archery, Boxing, Badminton, Athletic events etc.
ALL INDIA LEVEL:
S.Nandhini – Community College MMA Won Bronze Medal in Triple Jump event in the ALL INDIA INTER UNIVERSITY Athletic Meet held at Mangalore, Karnataka
Our Students won 84 Medals in various state level competitions held at various districts in Tamilnadu in various sports and games.
2. HEALTH CARE CLUB ACTIVITIES
- Organized Awareness Program on “Overall Health and Life Skills”
- Organized Sensitizing Program on “Health consequences of obesity, prevalence of overweigh and associated psychology problems and diet management”
- Organized Self Defense Program – “Tharkappu” for interested students
- Organized “Perception Program on “Health Issues Due to Internet Addiction and Sleeping Disorder and Funnel Factors to Reform Wellness”
- Organized Awareness Program “Disordered Eating and Unhealthy Weight Reduction Practices Seeing in Internet and Actual Healthy Diet for Women”
- Organized Symposium on Sports Injuries and Preventive Strategies
- Organized Workshop Laughter Yoga Program entitled “சிரித்தால் சிரஞ்சீவி”
- Organized One day National Conference on Women Empowerment through Education and Primary Health Care sponsored by National Commission for Women
- Organized 4 Fitness Activities as Inter club competitions
3. RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
- 4 Scholars Pursuing Ph.D (Part Time) in Physical Education under the guidance of Dr.M.Jayachitra.
4. FITNESS CLUB
- Around 300 students enrolled in our college Gym and doing fitness activities regularly.
5. FACULTY ACHIEVEMENTS (Director of Physical Education)
- Committee Member for selecting Bharathiar University Handball Team, Powerlifting and Weight Lifting Teams.
- Attended FDP sponsored by MHRD at Bharathiar University
- Chaired as Resource Person for FDP sponsored by MHRD at KSR Institutions
- Attended 3 National level Conferences
- Attended 1 Refresher Course at Mysore
- Published 3 Papers in International Journals
- Accompanied as Team Manager for Bharathiar University Handball Team to Kerala
- Organized Health Care Club Activities
- Team Manager for Sports Competitions